Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Grand Rapids, Michigan / Lodging, Dining, Brewery, Meadery, Distillery, and more!

September 2018, Weekend, 1-night, 2 days


You can find more posts about the Grand Rapids area by clicking on labels at the bottom of this post. I am sharing a few brief details about new experiences here.

View from guestroom at JW Marriott Grand Rapids

JW Marriott, 2-Queen bed guestroom #1318, Gold status

This is the first  time we have stayed in a room with two queen beds, and it is also the first time I did not receive an automatic upgrade to the concierge floor at this hotel. I did receive an upgrade to a river view guestroom. I am not sure if three adults in the room had something to do with the concierge upgrade. After I inquired, the front desk agent said there were not any concierge floor rooms available with two queen beds; however, she would code our keys for access to the lounge. We were not in the hotel that evening, so we missed the concierge social hour. It was nice to have access in the morning for speciality coffee and continental breakfast. The only difference I could see between a king and queen guestroom is that the queen guestroom contained a chair and footstool instead of a chaise lounger. Both beds were super comfy, as usual!

2-queen bed guestroom at JW Marriott in Grand Rapids
My Marriott app has not been working properly since the Marriott-Starwood merger. Following is what happened this stay: After I checked in on the app, it was still saying I needed to check-in. Additionally, the guest information showing was incorrect after I checked in; it said 1 guest on the app, and 6 guests in my website confirmation. My reservation had been made for 3 guests, and the hotel confirmed it was correct on their end. When I arrived, I was told that it showed I had checked in. I did not receive a notification that my room was ready via the app, and I never received a bill after checkout. Usually, I receive a bill via email after checking out on the app. I had the same check-in and similar checkout app experience with a recent Marriott Courtyard stay.

Hog Heaven pizza at Mitten Brewing Company

Grand Rapids dining, brewery, meadery, distillery...

We visited a few new places this visit. The Mitten Brewing Company was extremely packed when we arrived around 6:00 PM on Friday. We left our name for a table, and then found enough room at the bar to sit and stand (1 seat, 2 standers) with beers while we waited. After there became enough room in the bar area for us to eat, we ended up ordering Hog Heaven pizza at the bartender's recommendation. It was fabulous! We received a text that a dining room table was available after we received the pizza, which was 48 minutes after we had arrived. Needless to say, we never made it to the dining room. This bar has outside seating upstairs and down when the weather is good.

Our son took us to Arktos Meadery, a tasting room we had never heard of just south of Hall Street. The inside atmosphere was pleasant and unique. My favorite mead was Great Bear, which is similar to wine, and our son's favorite was Queen Bee.

Moscow Mule at Long Road Distillers
Another first for us, Long Road Distillers. They have quite an extensive cocktail menu, if you like variety. They have a kitchen menu, as well. The spirits were good, although I thought this location was more about show than quality or service. I am always impressed when the server has the knowledge to understand what they are serving, and the skill to make recommendations to meet customers' desires. In tasting rooms, breweries, distilleries, etc.

Well It's Trending at Knickerbocker
New Holland Knickerbocker is one of our favorite places to visit. Great atmosphere, and we like all their brews. Although this was not a new location for us, we had a couple of new experiences. Our son tasted New Holland's Freshwater Michigan Barrel Rum, and then immediately purchased a bottle. I had heard of the new champagne brut IPAs, and New Holland had one on tap, Well It's Trending--delicious! I pretty much like two types of beer; IPAs and stouts, and I think New Holland does them both well.

Michigan Turkey Sandwich with side of Sundried Tomato Soup
at The Green Well
We stopped in East Hills  for lunch at The Green Well. It sounds like Grand Rapids is going to start charging for parking on the streets in this area on weekends, so look for the parking lot sign just east of the restaurant, which is free. My husband and I shared the Michigan Turkey Sandwich on sourdough bread and a side of soup. The portion size was generous, and the flavor was delicious. I actually felt like I was eating Thanksgiving leftovers, since the sandwich had sweet potatoes on it.

We stopped by Frederick Meijer Gardens to see the Art Prize exhibits, which was a disappointing venue. There have been less outside exhibits downtown in recent years, so I thought maybe it was because they had moved elsewhere, like on the grounds of Meijer Gardens. I was mistaken about that, because there were only a few small clay sculptures inside at this location. We did see some great exhibits downtown Grand Rapids, although I do not have any photos to share.

If you are a BeerCity Brewsader, and you have a smartphone, you can download the app, and get stamps by checking in that way now. We got one new check-in this trip at The Mitten Brewing Company.

There are many more new places in Grand Rapids that we have not had a chance to visit yet. A few on our list include Craft Beer Cellar, Bridge Street Market by Meijer, and Embassy Suites when it opens!

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope you enjoy Grand Rapids as much as we do!



No comments:

Post a Comment