Search This Blog

Monday, October 1, 2018

Grand Rapids, Michigan / DoubleTree by Hilton Grand Rapids Airport

September 2018, Weekend, 1-night, King guestroom #300

I have stayed at this hotel at least four times, and this was my second stay after the property became a DoubleTree.

Gold perks and check-in

Check-in was efficient, and the DoubleTree cookie was delicious. I had reserved a queen guestroom, and received an automatic upgrade to a king guestroom. Two bottles of water had already been placed in the guestroom before my arrival. I also received beverage coupons to use in the lobby lounge and breakfast coupons. When the agent learned I would be leaving before breakfast in the morning, he gladly offered bonus points instead. The offer of breakfast and then points puzzled me, because I have always chosen extra bonus points for my stays, rather than breakfast. Fortunately, I checked my online profile after this stay, because all my bonus point preferences had been lost or reset, and continental breakfast or snack was checked under "my way" preferences. If I had paid closer attention to my receipts and points as they posted this year, I would have noticed this sooner. This change had been made sometime between the middle of February 2018 and the beginning of May 2018. I changed my choices back to points, and will pay closer attention going forward.

Guestroom 300

King guestroom 300

This guestroom is on the third floor at the end of the hall. The room location further reflects staff member's attention to detail, because I always request a top floor room in the corner or at the end of the hall, as it is usually quieter. I think I have stayed in this exact room before when this property was a Hilton; however, I could not find a previous post for this guestroom. Sometimes, when I get busy, I do not always post a review after my stay. Guestroom 411, which I previously stayed in at this DoubleTree, seems like a slightly larger room with a small fridge.

Other than not having a fridge, this guestroom contained all of the same items as room 411: safe, beverage center with coffee, king bed, work desk and chair, sofa, armoire, flatscreen TV, night stands, and coffee table.
Bathroom in guestroom 300
The tile bathroom was small, as I think they all are in this hotel. Bath amenities and good quality towels had been provided.

The bed was comfortable, and the noise from outside the guestroom was minimal. I wish I could have opened the window for fresh air, because the HVAC unit ran rather loudly, and I had a difficult time sleeping. I filled out the hotel questionnaire after my stay, and received a note from the hotel manager asking me to contact them with any problems in the future, so that it can be resolved during my stay. She said they would have gladly sent an engineer to the guestroom.

Craft beer menu in guestroom

Food & Beverage

I got a glass of house merlot with my $4 value beverage coupon, which was good. I do not recall the brand. We had requested a wine or beverage menu from the bartender, and she said she did not have anything. My husband was able to pay the difference to upgrade and redeem his coupon for a craft beer. I thought the price she charged of $7 was ridiculously high; however, since we did not see a beverage menu, we paid the $3 difference, and took the beverages back to our room. Later that evening, I noticed the craft beer sign in the guestroom; photo above. We had gotten a Bell's Two Hearted IPA, which is listed on the menu for $5.50. A much better price than $7! I took the room menu to the front desk when I checked out, and the agent gladly refunded the overcharge.

Shuttle and misc.

The airport shuttle departs every half hour, starting at 4:00 AM. It only took us about five minutes to get to the airport in the early morning with no traffic. Although there are several hotels in the area with shuttle service, my experience has been that only this hotel, and the Crowne Plaza, have service operating on a regular basis, such as early in the morning.

Complimentary coffee was available in the lobby near the from desk in the morning before I left.

Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to share this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment