Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Springfield, Ohio / Marriott Courtyard Downtown

September 2018, Weekday, 1-night, Queen handicap accessible room #614


Plants in island along back drive next to parking lot

Gold perks and check-in

For some reason, I did not receive a notification via the Marriott app telling me my room was ready. I arrived a few minutes early of the check-in time I had chosen, and my room was ready. All Marriott rewards members get to spin a wheel for prizes at this hotel. I won free breakfast. Other prizes included different MR point values, something from the market, or a beverage in the lounge.

Sunset view from guestroom 614

Guestroom 614

I did not intentionally book a handicap room, and I did not realize that was my room type until I entered the room. Apparently, I am not the only one who has made this mistake, because when I returned to the front desk, I was told that many people do not realize that the "one queen bed" guestroom is a handicap room. This information is not visible during the reservation process or in the confirmation email, unless you click on the "room details" information. I was told the only other room type I could have is a room with two double beds. I prefer a queen bed to a double bed, so I kept the room I had been assigned.


The view from the guestroom faces west over Fountain Ave. It has a connecting room door, which fortunately, did not cause any extra noise. Either the guestroom next to mine was empty, or the guest was extremely quiet.

Bathroom in guestroom 614
The bathroom in this guestroom is large, and it has a roll in shower. The shower area itself is long, although it is not very wide. I am not a very big person, and I had difficulty keeping my elbows off the shower curtain while I showered. I meant to take a photo of the inside of the shower, and it slipped my mind. Bath amenities and good quality towels were provided.

View from entrance; connecting door on left, closet door on right
The queen size bed and pillows were comfortable, and the desk work area contained a slide out table for extra work space. The guestroom also contained a soft chair, flatscreen TV, coffeemaker with supplies, ice maker, and alarm clock. The closet contained a folding luggage rack, hangers, and an iron and board.

Guestroom 614

Food & Beverage

I had expected to order something to eat from the hotel in the late afternoon/early evening; however, the menu at this hotel is different than other Marriott Courtyard hotels I have stayed in. I went downstairs around 4:00 PM, and menu items were limited to the bar menu. There had been no menu in my guestroom, although the hotel site says room service is available. I wanted something like a light sandwich or salad, and did not see anything like that on the lounge menu. The Wedge Salad and light sandwiches are only available during lunch. Fortunately, I had learned about Un Mundo Cafe across the street, and found something there I liked. I got the Turkey and Cream Cheese Spinach Wrap, which was delicious.

I had breakfast in the hotel dining room, as I had won this with my spin at check-in. Apparently, most patrons got free breakfast, because the server asked everyone dining if s/he had breakfast included. When one guest said he was not sure, the server asked for his room number so he could check. When he returned with the check, he told the guest he could not find it, but he had given it to him anyway. I did not want the buffet breakfast, so I ordered Eggs Benedict from the menu. The cost for this item was $2 less than the full buffet. The server initially tried to thwart this request, and then he conceded that the cook could probably do this, since they were not very busy. This dish looked appetizing when I received it; however, I was disappointed because the eggs had been overcooked. They had been cooked like hard-boiled eggs.

Fitness center

There are only two treadmills in the fitness center, which made it difficult to find an open one in the morning. Both were available when I visited in the afternoon. The center is open 24-hours.

Misc.

Marriott Courtyard is the only hotel I stay in that no longer has coffee available for guests in the lobby. Additionally, the condiments provided in the guestroom include powdered creamer, rather than liquid.


No comments:

Post a Comment