Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Jeffersonville, Indiana / Sheraton Louisville Riverside Hotel

November 2018, Weekday, 1-Night, King guestroom 812


River and sunset is visible from riverview and rooms on west side.
This photo taken from parking lot across Riverside Drive from hotel.

Gold perks and check-in

This hotel provided the worst service and Gold member recognition I have ever received at a Marriott or Starwood hotel. The agent did not recognize my status, and when I inquired about an upgrade, I was told that Marriott does not allow them to give upgrades to Gold members; only Platinum members. I told the agent that could not be correct, because I receive upgrades at Starwood and Marriott hotels all the time. She went to get the manager, who then told me the same thing.


When I had checked in on the Marriott app before my arrival, the screen showed I was eligible for an upgrade. I did not take a snapshot of  that screen, although I have taken one for every stay since then. The screen shot above was taken after I checked in for my next Marriott stay, one day after I checked out of Sheraton. The screenshot below shows Gold member perks listed on Marriott's website. Although no one mentioned the 500 Gold bonus points, these posted to my account when this stay posted.

Gold upgrade perks from Marriott/SPG website 11/11/2019
Click to enlarge



King guestroom 812

This guestroom is on the 8th floor of this 10 floor hotel. It has a connecting room door, and it faces the expressway. The bridge view from the guestroom was nice; however, we could hear traffic through the window. The expressway is fully visible to the left of the building shown in the photo below.

View from guestroom 812

The king size bed in the guestroom was comfortable, and the full length windows offered good visibility. The desk and chair were strategically placed facing out the window. The guestroom also contained nightstands with lamps, a soft chair and foot stool, flatscreen TV on an armoire, ice bucket, and coffeemaker with supplies. The coffee was good quality. The guestroom was smaller than I had expected from viewing the photos on the hotel website.

Guestroom 812; view from in front of desk


The closet was a good size with many hangers, and it contained a large safe. The lighting in the guestroom was dim. A burned out bulb in the light fixture at the entrance further aggravated this situation.



The small bathroom contained bath amenities and good quality towels.

Photo taken in the morning before we departed.
We liked the shower with glass doors for the most part. The panel on the right is fixed, which made it difficult to get in and out of the shower without walking under the spray (if you do not want to wash your hair, it will get wet anyway). Additionally, there was a bit of mold and wear in the corners at the bottom of the shower.



The bellman had insisted upon taking our bag to the guestroom when we arrived, so we let him. In the guestroom, he took out the luggage rack, and flopped our suitcase onto the rack, partially breaking it (the luggage rack; not our suitcase). He straightened the suitcase on the rack so it was not falling off, and left the rather large broken wood piece on the floor. He then provided his business card, in case we wanted to have him take us any place in the shuttle. During check-in, the front desk agent had told me that he could take us to local restaurants, and that he does this for tips.

Food & Beverage

In the evening, we ate at Hooters, which is attached to the hotel. The service, food, and beverages were all good. We walked outside by the river after dinner, and took the sunset photo at the top of this post.

In the morning, I wanted to call in a take-out order and then pick it up; however, there was no room service menu in the guestroom. I went downstairs where a buffet was set up in the bar area near the front desk to ask for a menu. Apparently, something was going on with the menus because I waited several minutes for a menu. First, the host/server looked all around the dining area, then she asked the front desk agent, and then they both looked in the backroom. The host finally produced a tattered menu, which I got the impression was the only one in the hotel. I placed an order and then took it back to the room. The food was good, although a bit pricey, as many hotel breakfasts are.

The only nearby breakfast restaurant I could find was Widow's Walk Ice Creamery and Coffee Shop; however, it was seasonally closed during our visit. We wanted to eat before we left the area, because we planned to visit Falls of the Ohio State Park.

Business center and service

The business center is located in the lobby of the hotel. I was able to print a couple of documents I needed, although it took me a few tries. The Internet connection at the lobby computer was slower than it had been in the guestroom. I also needed a couple of manilla envelopes, which the agent working at the front desk gladly found for me. He provided professional and friendly assistance. I wish I had gotten his name!

Pool area

The whirlpool tub was clean, although the temperature was not very warm. We did not check the temperature of the swimming pool.

Overall and misc.

Other than the interaction I had with the staff member who located envelopes for me, I was not impressed with the service at this hotel. I arrived after check-in time, yet my room had not been pre-assigned, and my keys were not ready. If staff did not want to give me a club floor upgrade when assigning my room, it seems like they could have at least given me a larger guestroom on the side of the hotel away from the expressway and with a sunset view. If you look at the guestroom photos on the hotel website, you will see the difference in guestroom size between the photos on the website, and the photos of our guestroom. I also contacted this hotel via email a few days before my stay, because I wanted to add my husband's name to my reservation. I never received a reply to my email.

View from Falls of the Ohio State Park

There is a paved trail along the river, which is easily accessible from the hotel. We had initially planned to bicycle to Falls of the Ohio State Park in the morning before we left; however, it was unseasonably cold and rainy that morning. Instead, we drove to Ashland Park after we checked out, and then walked on the trail along the river to the park, and within the park. This was great exercise before our drive ahead.

Small snake on the walkway in the state park

If you are heading south from this hotel in the morning, be sure and take I-65, and NOT Clark Memorial Bridge. We were closer to 31/Clark Memorial Bridge after leaving the park, and thought this drive would be nicer than the expressway. Huge mistake - downtown Louisville is chaos in the mornings, and it took us over 15 minutes to drive the 2 miles to the interstate.

Let me know if you have any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment