Search This Blog

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Evansville, Indiana / Holiday Inn Express

November 2018, Weekday, 1-Night, Queen guestroom #427


Wow, this was the most comfortable, clean, and well-appointed Holiday Inn Express I have ever stayed in!

Sunset from guestroom 427

Advance reservations, check-in, platinum perks

I called this hotel to make my reservation because the online rates were much higher than neighboring hotels--about $40 more per night than Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, Marriott Courtyard... The agent I spoke with said the least expensive room type is 2-queen beds, and that he had one available he could give me. The online system had not shown me this guestroom type was available, and I did not know he was booking me an accessible/handicap guestroom until I looked at the reservation the next day under my IHG profile. I had asked him to request a top floor guestroom for me, so I hoped someone would cancel before my stay, and I could end up in a regular guestroom on a higher floor.

When I arrived, I received a top floor non-handicap guestroom. The agent did not recognize my status or mention any IHG perks, although 500 Platinum bonus points posted to my account before I checked out.

Microwave, Keurig coffee, fridge
Located in hall entrance between bathroom and beds

Guestroom 427

This guestroom is on the top floor near the end of the hall (exactly my preference!). The sunset view was beautiful, and the room quality was excellent. I cannot say enough nice things about the quality of the guestroom at this hotel. I wish all Holiday Inn Express hotels offered this same comfort.

Things I loved about the guestroom:

  • Comfortable bed with excellent quality pillows and linens. This is one of the main things I have not liked at Holiday Inn Express, so I am excited about this improvement.
  • No gaps around the guestroom door; there was even a sweeper sound barrier on the bottom of the door.
  • Many charging outlets; for USB and electrical plugs.
  • Excellent lighting in the entire guestroom.
  • Spacious and comfortable work desk area.
  • Large suitcase bench with hooks above for hanging clothes/jackets.
  • Spacious entrance area with a counter for keys, and dry bar area with Keurig coffeemaker, microwave, and fridge.
  • Super clean!
Guestroom 427
The cleanliness was immaculate, and the sleep quality was amazing. To say I was impressed was an understatement. Although this hotel was full, I only heard an occasional loud door shutting in the hall.



The large tile bathroom contained a tub/shower combination, and a long vanity with plenty of counter space. Bath amenities were provided, and the towels were good quality.


Coupon for evening reception

Food and beverage

I had read in online reviews that there is an evening manager's reception or social hour at this hotel, although I was not told about this at check-in. I was in the lobby shortly after 5:00 PM, so I stopped at the front desk to inquire about this. The person I spoke with said that it starts at 5:30 PM, and she gave me a coupon for two complimentary beverages. The card she gave me looks like this is a perk for IHG members, although she did not ask me for any identification or for my room number. The beverages included sodas, beer, and wine. A few snacks were also available. Another nice feature at this hotel!

Local beer offered at evening reception

Breakfast in the morning included the usual Holiday Inn Express foods, although it was a tad disappointing. The eggs did not taste very fresh, and the fat-free milk I chose tasted spoiled. The date on the carton was still good; however, I tossed it after tasting it.

Overall

In addition to the Holiday Inn Express, there were several hotels in this area: Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Extended Stay, and Home 2 Suites. This Holiday Inn Express was amazingly comfortable, and from the outside, it looked like the nicest hotel in this area. I did not see the nearby Residence Inn or Marriott Courtyard when I walked around the area outside. I would definitely choose this Holiday Inn Express again. Sleep quality is one of the most important things to me when I travel.

Guestroom diagram from back of door


No comments:

Post a Comment