Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2021

Alpena, Michigan: Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown

October 2021, weekend, one-night, queen river view guestroom 320



Alpena Holiday Inn Express from across the river

Arrival and platinum perks

I redeemed points for a river view room with two queen beds, because king river view rooms were not available with points. This hotel was very full, and apparently sold out the night of our stay. I had requested a top floor room in a quiet area, and the agent did not acknowledge my request nor recognize my status. She merely said the hotel was full, after I asked if she had been able to give us a room in a quiet area. Bonus points must be automatic, because I received an email right after check-in from IHG for my 500 bonus points.

Sunrise from guestroom 320 in Alpena Holiday Inn Express


Guestroom 320

This room is a nice size, and it was comfortable. The parking lot is between the hotel and river at this end of the hotel. The windows are soundproof, although there is a gap under the entrance door from the hallway. There was a lot of ruckus the night of our stay from kids running up and down the halls. Fortunately, the guests above us were relatively quiet. 


Guestroom 320 in Alpena, Michigan Holiday Inn Express

The bedsheets were silky soft, and the pillows were good quality. The bed seemed smaller than our queen size bed at home. I was actually surprised that hotel staff did not switch our room out for a single king bed, since there were so many families the night of our stay. I did not ask about this at check-in, although I had written in my reservation comments that we only needed one bed.


There is a work desk with chair in this room, and a single soft chair. A suitcase bench is located at the foot of the bed next to the armoire and TV.


Guestroom 320 in Alpena, Michigan Holiday Inn Express

The beverage area inside the entrance contained a small fridge, microwave, and Keurig machine with supplies. The fridge did not work well. We turned it up all the way, and our items still did not get or stay cold. A safe was located in the closet.


Bathroom in guestroom 320 in Alpena, Michigan Holiday Inn Express

The bathroom contained a tub/shower combination. Refillable shampoo and shower gel dispensers were on the shower wall. I was surprised that there were only two bath towels and two washcloths in this guestroom with two beds.


Food & beverage

We went to breakfast around 7AM, thinking it would be less busy, and the area was already filling up. This was one of the worst Holiday Inn Express breakfasts we have ever had in regards to quality. The oatmeal and eggs were both room temperature/cool, and the milk from the cooler was so warm I could not drink it. The fresh fruit (whole bananas and oranges) were not fresh, and looked like they needed to be tossed. This hotel was also out of cinnamon rolls, and staff said they have been out for a few months. There is a nice outside patio from the breakfast room overlooking the river.


Misc. and overall

We did not use the pool area; however, I overheard some guests complaining in the morning because they said it does not open until 10AM. The fitness center sign said that room is open 24 hours; I did not look at the pool sign. There were ashtray urns right outside every entrance into this hotel (back patio, front door, side entrances), and we could sometimes smell smoke in the public areas inside. I tried to print a document in the business area, and did not have success. Fortunately, I was able to use the coupon I had been trying to print by showing it on my phone later that day.


Possibly, this stay would have been a better experience, if we had visited during a less busy time. We did not know there was a group staying in the hotel until we arrived that day. This was not an awful stay; it was just disappointing in some areas. I thought housekeeping was great (our room was clean, and I spoke with one of the very helpful housekeepers when I was looking for something); however, I thought front desk and breakfast staff personnel projected aloofness, and an uncaring attitude.


River and riverwalk view behind Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Alpena, MI

This hotel is in a great location. Downtown is within walking distance, and the riverwalk trail outside the hotel goes to a couple of parks. I will have more info about the area in one of my next upcoming posts. 


Let me know if you have any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment