Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Pittsburgh Airport: Avis, Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Int'l Airport, The Club

October 2021, weekdays, one night


I returned my Avis rental car, and then walked to the Hyatt, which is attached to the Pittsburgh airport terminal via a walkway. I was not familiar with the route between the rental lot and the hotel, and this is not well marked. The Avis employee had told me to take the elevator by the Avis counter and then there is a walkway to the hotel. I saw a sign that said Hyatt before I got on the elevator; however, there was no signage inside the elevator telling me if it was on level 2 or 3. I got off at both levels, and could not figure out where to go. There are no signs on either of those levels, other than the parking garage signs. I took the elevator back down to level 1 where I saw a second Hyatt sign stating that the hotel is on level 3. Back up on level 3, I walked into the parking lot and looked around. I decided to try the unmarked entrance a little ways away (about 400') in the right corner of the parking lot. Inside this entrance, I found the walkway, and a hotel sign. The unclear signage apparently goes both ways; on my way to the unmarked entrance, I overheard two people looking around and wondering what level the rental car lot is on. I stopped to tell them it is on level 1.



Sunset view from guestroom 1129 at Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Airport
Rooftop is view from guestroom 209 at Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Airport 



Arrival and check-in at Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Int'l Airport

I had tried to check in via email when the notification arrived the morning of my arrival; however, I received an error message, so I checked in at the front desk when I arrived. I was initially assigned guestroom 209, which is across from the pool and next to the ice machine on the second floor. Although I was not crazy about this location, I did not initially say anything. I took pictures for my blog, and then sat down at the desk to start working. I did not unpack, or even place my suitcase up on the suitcase bench. It was not long before the ice machine started making a LOT of noise. I walked out into the hall to see if the noise was actually coming from the machine, and it was. I then called the front desk to ask if there was a room available in a quieter location that I could move to. The agent said he had another room, if I did not mind having two queen beds. I said that would be fine, and then I asked him if that room type also has a work desk area, as I had a lot of work to do. He said no, and then he asked if he could call me right back. When he called back, I was reassigned guestroom 1129. 


Cookies and bottled water were available for guests at the front desk when I checked in. The agent did not offer this. I saw the display, so after he completed check-in and directed me to the elevators, I asked if the refreshments were for guests, and he said yes.



Guestroom diagrams on back of door at Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Int'l Airport



Guestrooms 209 and 1129 in Hyatt Regency

Both of these guestrooms were almost exactly the same other than the floor they were on. I have included pictures from both guestrooms along with some info.

Closet and safe in guestroom 1129 in Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Int'l Airport

As I previously stated, guestroom 209 is next to the ice machine. I found out after switching rooms that there is not an ice machine on all of the floors, so the activity outside this guestroom is probably heavy. The pool and fitness center are also located on this floor. The view is not great from either guestroom, which did not really matter to me, as I had work to do and then just wanted to get a good night's sleep.


Bathrooms in Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Int'l Airport
Room 209 above, 1129 below

The bathroom is located just inside the entrance across from a large closet, which contained a safe and other items. There were a couple of minor differences in the bathroom. I assume the silver circle in the bathroom photo for room 209 is a TV speaker, although I never turned the TV on. The vanity counter in room 1129 had been made higher. A second piece of countertop had been added, and the backsplash was taller. This also made the mirror height much higher. I felt like I was standing at a bathroom counter for giants! I am only 5'2" tall, so I probably felt this more than most people.

Empty shower amenities in Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Int'l Airport, guestroom 1129

Shampoo and shower gel pump dispensers were in the shower; however, the canisters in guestroom 1129 were empty.



Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Int'l Airport

Room 209 above, 1129 below


The rooms contained a work area with chair, large flatscreen TV, small fridge, soft chair, end table, suitcase bench, king size bed, and nightstands. A single-serve coffee maker and supplies was provided in the work area. The coffee qualify was amazing! The floor in guestroom 1129 was damp and sticky. The stickiness did not go away after the floor dried, or when I walked on it without my shoes. The bed and pillows were comfy, and the sheets were silky soft.


Room 1129 was mostly well soundproofed, other than the gap under the entrance door from the hallway. The internet connection speed was good.


Food & Beverage in Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Int'l Airport

The hotel website, and the telephone recording, both said that the restaurant was open for lunch from 11AM, so I did not stop to eat before I arrived. After I checked in, I found out the restaurant was closed until 5PM. I had received a welcome email after I got on the road that day (after the pre-check-in email link that did not work); however, I had not taken time to read it. The body of that email did say that the restaurant was closed after breakfast until 5PM. 😞 Takeout was also not available until 5PM. I was told I could not order something to-go from my room; that I had to come down and order it at the restaurant, so I went to the lobby about 4:45PM. There were already two people in the lobby waiting for the restaurant to open, and at least six more people arrived before it opened. I observed the manager and a host at the stand while I waited. More people arrived, and some entered the restaurant to sit at tables and at the bar, even though the sign was still out that said the restaurant was closed. After 5PM, almost everyone waiting had already entered and seated themselves. I walked up to wait at the host stand. A few minutes later, the manager returned to the stand. I asked him if I was supposed to seat myself, and he said no. He replaced the closed sign with a "please wait to be seated" sign, and then led me to a table.


Dinner in Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Int'l Airport
Iceberg Wedge and Scallop with Shrimp 'n' Grits


I had planned to order my food to-go; however, since there were over 10 people in the bar area before the restaurant actually opened, I thought it would be quicker to dine in the restaurant. It took almost an hour for my meal, and my server never checked on me during the meal. I had the Iceberg Wedge salad and shareable Scallop and Shrimp Grits. This visit was a huge disappointment. The food and service were both less than I expected. I did not like the flavor of the salad (partially my fault for not reading the description well). It had balsamic dressing instead of blue cheese, tomato relish (which tasted liked canned tomatoes, to me), and the bacon pieces were huge pieces of 99% fat. I did not taste any bacon flavor in the salad. The grits dish was also not what I expected since it contained no scallops. I could not ask my server about the scallops since she never returned to my table until the very end of the meal. Even then, she did not inquire about my satisfaction. If "scallop" in this food item is a descriptor instead of an ingredient, this is not made clear in the food description on the menu.


The Club lounge in PIT airport

The Club lounge in PIT airport, misc., and overall

It took about 20 minutes to walk from my hotel room in the Hyatt to The Club lounge by gate C52. I have TSA pre-check, and the line was not very long. The Club lounge opens at 4:30AM. 


Food & beverages inside The Club in PIT airport


The lounge was comfortable and clean, and the service was excellent. Staff served food and beverages. The granola was delicious. I had planned to have a mimosa after breakfast; however, after I read the sign that said they have their own homemade Bloody Mary mix, I changed my mind. Two of the restrooms in the lounge also have a shower. I did not peak at the showers; I read this info from signs next to the doors.


Overall, this was a decent visit and stay. The dining experience in the Hyatt was the most disappointing. The ease of walking right to my gate in the early morning made this hotel an excellent choice.


Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to share this post for others. Safe travels!



No comments:

Post a Comment