Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

Grand Rapids, MI--GRR airport hotel / Crowne Plaza

May 2011, Weekend, 1-night, King executive floor (?) guestroom 


Status perks

This hotel is usually one of my first choices when I need an airport hotel because I have always been upgraded to an executive or club floor room in the past. The agent did not recognize my status or provide any information about the guestroom during check-in, so I was not sure if I had received an upgraded room or not.

Our stay was Friday of Memorial weekend, and there were only 11 rooms rented that evening. (I learned this from a front desk employee later). Imagine what an impressive review I would be writing about this property, if they had opted to give a Platinum member, an upgrade to a suite or better guestroom.

Guestroom

I did not take any photos this stay, and I neglected to write down the guestroom number. I believe we were in a guestroom on floor five in C-wing. I do not know if all of the guestrooms on floor five are executive rooms, or just some of them. This guestroom seemed smaller than others we have stayed in.

When I made this reservation, I had requested a high floor, corner room, in a quiet area. Although I  received a guestroom on the top floor, it was next to the elevator. I do not think there were any other guests in this hall, so the guestroom was in a quiet area, even though it was next to the elevator. It was not as nicely remodeled as some guestrooms I have stayed in, and there was only one soft chair in the room. I have stayed in other guestrooms at this hotel with a couch instead of one chair. That would have met our needs better, since there were two of us. It had a balcony overlooking the back courtyard.

Club Lounge

The Club Lounge remodeling had been completed, and the lounge was in use, although it was not open the evening of our stay. Sometimes, the room is still accessible for bottled water and such. I tried my key in the door, which did not work. Later that evening, I inquired about the Club room, or discount coupons in the hotel lounge. The front desk agent--who was different than the employee who had checked me in--gave me a couple of beverage coupons for the hotel lounge.

Food & Beverages

The service, food, and beverages in the lounge were excellent. I have liked every food and beverage item I have tried at this hotel since the lounge and restaurant were remodeled. We shared a chicken jerk sandwich, which was plenty large enough for two. The bartender let us use our beverage coupons for upgraded beverages.

Business center

I was able to print something in the business center without any difficulty or a charge. I have stayed in some Crowne Plazas that charge for printing. There was not a copy machine in the business center, and the front desk agent made a copy of two items for me. Front desk staff were also happy to let me leave a package I had scheduled for pickup the day we checked out.

Hotel shuttle & misc.

The morning shuttle was prompt, as was our pickup from the airport when we returned.

One reason I usually choose this property over the nearby Hilton (now a DoubleTree) is because of the perks I normally receive. Since I did not receive any perks this time until after I inquired, I am undecided about which hotel I will choose for future airport stays. The room we had was acceptable, although I did not understand why staff would have chosen not to give us a better room when the property was nearly empty. I'm sure we would have been more comfortable in a room with more space and a couch. I appreciate that the Front Desk agent gave us beverage coupons after I inquired about Platinum perks; however, I never like it when I have to request these things. It is much more impressive when perks are given without prompting.

No comments:

Post a Comment