Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Grand Rapids, MI / GRR airport hotel -- Staybridge Suites

Status perks
I received a coupon good for two items at the Suite Shop.

Room
I was disappointed when I saw that my guestroom was right next to the elevator and not on the top floor, because it's usually noisy in this area. When I make a reservation, I always request a room in a quiet area away from the elevator on the top floor; however, I have found that some hotels read the guest comments, and some do not. This was a Sunday night stay before an early flight I had, and I was not going to be there long, so I did not request a different room. The room was a studio king bed room with a full kitchen. It met my needs for the short stay; however, if I had planned to be in the area working for a length of time, I do not think I would be happy at this hotel. I did not think the couch or desk chair were very comfortable for working, and the room was a bit noisy--from guests in the hall and above me. The bed was comfortable, and I liked the fact that the large window had a screen and opened.

Food & beverage
This hotel does not provide food on Sunday evenings. An evening reception is included Monday - Thursday. Breakfast was included in the morning; however, I had to leave before then. I inquired about a breakfast to-go bag, and was told that is not offered. Sometimes, when I ask about this because of an early departure, the employee has let me grab something from the pantry.

Pool and outside area
The outside pool and hot tub had just opened for the summer the weekend of our stay; however, neither were usable. The pool was dirty, and the water in the hot tub was not warm. The outside seating area, tables, and grills for guest use were excellent. The seating was comfortable, and there was plenty of room.

Hotel shuttle and misc.
The hotel shuttle was very prompt in the morning. In fact, the driver took me right away after I checked out at the front desk, even though I arrived downstairs a few minutes early. This is one of a few hotels where I often stay when I have an early morning flight. 

This stay was similar to my other stays. I have always received the two Suite Shop items for being a Platinum PCR member, and I don't usually receive a room upgrade or a room on the top floor like I request when making my reservation. I received a room upgrade once at this hotel when I specifically requested it at check-in. Our son was staying with us that time, so I wanted a room with a bedroom, if it was available, and it was.

My husband was disappointed that he was not able to enjoy the pool and hot tub during  this stay. Especially since I had called the hotel that morning to ask if the pool area was open yet. I had been told it was opening that day. Apparently, some of the little details did not get completed on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment