Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

Grand Rapids, MI / GRR airport hotel -- Hampton Inn

April 2010,  1-night, King study guestroom

Status perks and check-in
My status at the time of this stay was Silver. I have stayed at this hotel several times as a Gold member, and I have never been given an automatic upgrade. This time, I decided to ask. When the front desk agent asked me to confirm my room rate, I asked if my room had a fridge. I was told that if I wanted a fridge, I could change my room type for $10 more because I had reserved only a basic room. I asked if that was because my status was now Silver instead of Gold. She sounded like the hotel does not usually give upgrades at all; however, she then said she could give me that room type, so I received an upgraded king study room.


Guestroom

The spacious room contained a fridge, microwave, couch, coffee table, desk with two chairs, two end tables, and flatscreen TV. The Internet connection was lousy--both the wireless and the cable connection. I felt like I was working with dial up service. The bed was comfortable, and the room was quiet. The coffee from the one-cup coffee maker in the guestroom was awful. I ran the water through twice, and it still tasted like colored water. 



Food & Beverage
The hotel offered cookies at the front desk in the evening. I was impressed when I went to the lobby shortly before 6:00 a.m. for my ride to the airport in the morning, and breakfast was set up early. The front desk agent told me that it was all set up, and to help myself while he made sure my cab was on the way. I was able to enjoy an egg topped muffin with a glass of milk. There were also cold cereals, breads, and a waffle maker available.

Pool and Fitness center
My husband used the whirlpool tub, and he said it was clean and heated to a comfortable temperature. There is also an inside pool and small outside patio/sitting area. 


The fitness center contained three cardio machines, a flat screen TV, and a water cooler. There were no weights or sani-wipes. There was a place for towels, although it was empty. The temperature was acceptable.


Business center
The computer in the business center was out for repair during my stay, and the front desk agent let me print a document from the hotel computer.


Overall
This is one of the newer airport hotels at the GRR airport, and they offer 24-hour shuttle service every half hour. The shuttle actually does not run overnight, so if you have an early flight like I did, the hotel provides cab service. The property met my needs for this stay, and I chose the Hampton Inn because of an offer from Hilton to regain my Gold status.

No comments:

Post a Comment