Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2021

Ann Arbor, Michigan: Staybridge Suites Research Park

 February 2021, weekday, 1 night, king bedroom suite #409


Reservations, arrival, platinum perks

I made a reservation online for a king bedroom suite with points. We arrived to check-in around 4PM. Our key packet had not been prepared, although the agent did ask our preference for guestroom location. She did not recognize my status or offer any platinum perks. 

Suite 409 at Staybridge Suites Research Park Ann Arbor

Guestroom 409

Suite 409 is on the top floor, near the end of the hall. It contained the usual Staybridge Suites amenities: full size fridge, stovetop, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker with supplies, dishwasher, bar counter with stools, desk and chair, sofa, and flatscreen TV. The coffeemaker looked kind of nasty, and I had to run the dishwasher when we arrived, as there were dishes in the dishwasher that did not appear to be clean.

Bedroom in suite 409 at Staybridge Suites Research Park Ann Arbor

Our living room TV did not work when we arrived. After a staff member came up to look at it, he left, and then returned again with a new box, or something, which he installed, and then got the TV working. 

Coffeemaker in suite 409 at Staybridge Suites Research Park Ann Arbor

There was a second TV in the bedroom, along with a full length mirror, soft chair, and footstool. I think this is the only hotel I have ever stayed in, which did not have a clock in the bedroom. The only telephone in the suite was on one of the nightstands in the bedroom. The bathroom contained a nice walk-in shower.


Guestroom diagram from back of door in suite 409
at Staybridge Suites Research Park Ann Arbor

It was quiet and comfortable in the guestroom; however, the room smelled of stale smoke, which seemed to be in the furniture and carpet. I opened the windows for awhile, and sprayed the room and furniture with spray I keep in my travel bag; however, it did not help much. I also keep disinfectant spray in my travel bag, which I did not used to do before COVID-19. I was glad I had both of these items for this stay. I wanted to lay a clean sheet on the sofa; however, there were not any extra sheets or blankets in the guestroom.


Staybridge Suites pool area

I did not visit the pool area in the hotel, although my husband did. He said it was spacious, and that the water in the whirlpool tub was hot. He was the only one there when he visited in the morning.


Evening snack boxes at Staybridge Suites Research Park Ann Arbor


Food and Beverage

The website showed that breakfast was still being provided, and that the evening social was on Mondays through Wednesdays. The evening social was a snack box, like we received at the Holland Staybridge Suites in December. We were not offered a beverage.

Breakfast during COVID19 at
Staybridge Suites Research Park Ann Arbor

Breakfast was self-serve, and consisted of individual wrapped items that could be taken back to the room. Hot items were Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches, and instant oatmeal.


Misc. and overall

I thought this stay was quite dismal, and hardly worth the points I had redeemed for the stay. Much of the hotel reeked of stale cigarette smoke. (All Michigan hotels have been non-smoking by state law for years!). The hallways outside our guestroom seemed to smell even worse than our guestroom. We noticed the hallway stench even more after leaving our guestroom, so the spray and window opening I had done must have helped more than I had realized. 


We only observed a couple of vehicles at the Holiday Inn Express next door. I do not recall exactly why I had chosen Staybridge Suites over Holiday Inn Express; probably because I had been able to reserve a bedroom suite. There is a nice Marriott less than 10 miles east of this location, which we love. I had not chosen the Marriott for this trip, because Staybridge Suites is located closer to the area we wanted to be.


Let me know if you have any questions!




No comments:

Post a Comment