Search This Blog

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Coldwater, Michigan / Holiday Inn Express & Suites

October 2017, Weekday, 1-night, 2-Queen beds, room 304


Arrival and platinum perks

This hotel is next door to the Hampton Inn. The rates were about the same, and I had a difficult time choosing between the two when I made my reservation. I went with the Holiday Inn Express because I like the Keurig coffeemakers in the guestrooms. The Hampton Inn would have been a better choice for the sunset view, although that side of the hotel also faces the expressway. There was not much of a sunset the night of my stay.

View of Hampton Inn from guestroom 304
The front desk agent recognized my status, and said I would be receiving 500 bonus points, which posted to my account within 24 hours. She did not confirm the guestroom type, and the only thing I inquired about was whether it is on the top floor.

Guestroom 304

This guestroom is located on the top floor, almost at the end of the hall. I was surprised to see Do Not Disturb signs on the door handles of all the nearby guestrooms (at least three of them). I wondered if hotel staff was trying to create a quiet environment, or if the rooms were really booked. Turned out, the rooms were booked, and when the guests returned, they were none too quiet. This guestroom seems to be pretty quiet in terms of the walls between the guestrooms; however, there is a large gap below the door, and noise from the hall can easily be heard.

View from sofa in front of window
The room was comfortable and clean. The desk was comfortable, as was the sofa, and the bed. The desk is located at the foot of the bed, and is not visible in the photo above. A flatscreen TV is next to the desk, and there is a long suitcase bench between the TV and hanging closet.


The bed comforter was not warm/thick enough for me. I usually turn the heat down at night because it tends to be dry in hotel rooms, and there was not an extra blanket in the guestroom. I ended up taking the one off the other bed during the night.


View from entry in guestroom 304
The entry area contained a small fridge, Keurig coffeemaker, microwave, and full length mirror. A counter in this area was large enough to hold keys and such. Fortunately, I looked at the coffee choices before I had gotten ready for bed that night. There were three decaf pods, and no regular coffee in the guestroom. I was able to get some from the employee at the front desk.



The bathroom looked modern, and contained a tub/shower combination. Bath amenities were provided, and the towels were good quality.


The Internet connection speed was mediocre. I never got disconnected or lost any data, although the speed was not what I would call fast either. I was given an Internet code when I checked in; however, I did not need the code to access the Internet.

Diagram from back of guestroom door

Food & Beverage

Breakfast foods needed to be restocked when I visited after 7:00 AM. I had to go back for eggs, because the attendant told me it would be about eight minutes. I would have had oatmeal, except it was the instant variety, rather than rolled oats. The food choices were what I usually see at Holiday Inn Express: fold-over omelets, sausage or bacon, hot cinnamon rolls, cold cereals, instant oatmeal, pancake maker, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, canned and fresh fruits.

Fitness center

The fitness center was fabulous! Roomy, plenty of machines with cardio theater, weights, mats, water, towels, and more. The photos on the hotel website accurately show the equipment available.

Business center

There is one computer in the lobby connected to a printer. After I waited several minutes for a guest who was absently playing poker while chatting on the telephone, I found out the printer was out of ink, and there was none in the hotel. A sign at the printer, or an apology telling me about this when I checked in, would have been greatly appreciated. If I had known, I would not have wasted my time waiting for the computer and then going to the front desk to ask if it could be replaced.

Misc. and overall

This hotel offers easy access to I-69, especially when heading north. I used to receive an upgrade at IHG hotels more than 50% of the time, no matter which brand hotel I was staying in. I have not received an upgrade in over a year now, and I have not asked about this during check-in. I am not traveling as much as I used to, although I do still have Platinum status. This guestroom was comfortable for one person; however, it would have been crowded for more than that. I did not need two beds; I had reserved a queen bedded room, because a king bed was more money. I do not understand the thinking when hotels charge more for a guestroom with one king bed, when there is usually more to clean in a room with two beds.

Most of the stores have closed in the shopping area where these hotels are located. There are a couple of chain restaurants within walking distance: Applebee's, Bob Evans, China 1, and Mancino's.



No comments:

Post a Comment