Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Grand Rapids, Michigan / Judson's Steakhouse in The Bob

September 2017, weekday evening, birthday dinner


Advance reservations

We have been to most of the venues in The Bob several times, although this was our first visit to Judson's Steakhouse. It was my husband's birthday, and the free lobster dinner that Gilly's used to give customers had been taken over by Judson's.

I found this out when I called The Bob to make a reservation and confirm that Gilly's was still offering the free lobster dinner. I was able to make the reservation for the day after my husband's birthday, as his birthday fell on Labor Day, and The Bob was not open.

View out the window from our table

Dining atmosphere at Judson's Steakhouse

The atmosphere inside the restaurant was pleasant. We had a good view from our table, the acoustics were good, and the seating was comfortable.

Menu in the restaurant

Menu and food options

I had looked at the menu online before our visit because I had been told I needed to order an entree of at least $20 in order to get the free lobster dinner. I had not seen many options that appealed to me online (I like good quality steak, although not for $45 for just the meat!), so I hoped the online menu was only a sampling. Sadly, the online menu actually had more items than the menus we were given in the restaurant. I do not know if we could have gotten anything that was not on the restaurant menu, because I did not recall any of the exact items to ask. I did ask if lobster was a menu item I could also order, as this was not on the menu. I was told the lobster entree was available for $28. 

I thought the menu was in poor condition given the upscale pricing and atmosphere of the restaurant. Both our menus were wrinkled, and mine also had a bit of food stuck on the back. 

Bread basket for $2
I am familiar with restaurants that have recently stopped serving bread with dinner unless it is requested. At Judson's, the bread basket is a la carte, just like the sides; the bread basket cost was $2. The jelly and pepper spread both had good flavor, and the items were good quality, although the basket was a bit disappointing, overall. The flatbreads did not have a lot of flavor, and the brioche bread did not taste as fresh as the other items. I do not think our $2 was a waste, although we did think the bread basket was something we could have done without. 

Lobster birthday entree

Entree quality and flavor

My husband had the lobster dinner, of course, which he said was excellent. I had the Baseball Sirloin, which was also very good. The steak, vegetables, and demi glace had excellent flavor. My steak was a bit chewier than I had hoped, but still very good. I do realize it was sirloin and not a higher cut of meat, so I do not have any fault with this entree.

Baseball Sirloin

Service and overall

Service was good for the most part. I do not suggest visiting this restaurant, if you are in a rush. We only had the bread basket and our main course, and we were in the restaurant for over an hour. I think the dining experience is just as important as the food, and I am not complaining about the amount of time we were in the restaurant. I am merely stating the facts. We are not fast-passed and we eat slow, yet we still waited several minutes for everything each step of the way: our bread basket, water refills, plates to be cleared, entrees, and our check. Overall, we were happy with our meal, and we are glad to have added Judson's to the venues we have visited in The Bob!


No comments:

Post a Comment