Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Somerville, Massachusetts / Holiday Inn Boston Bunker Hill Area

October 2013, Weekday, 1-night, King Jr. Suite #825


Check-in and status perks
I had not had lunch when I arrived at this Holiday Inn, so after I parked, I asked the front desk agent for a lunch recommendation within walking distance. The agent recommended Tavern at the End of the World, which is about a block or two away on the same side of the street. When I returned to check-in, I received an upgrade to a suite, and I received a coupon good for bonus points or breakfast.

Guestroom 
This hotel has nine floors, and guestroom 825 is located on the 8th floor at the end of the hall. It has a connecting room door. Those of you who follow my blog regularly, know that I try to stay away from connecting room doors because of the noise. The spacious guestroom looked comfortable, and I was only staying for one night, so I settled in and hoped for the best.

Later in the evening, I did, unfortunately, hear the guest in the next guestroom through the door. I placed the extra blanket from the closet in front of the door, which helped block the noise somewhat.





The guestroom comfort and cleanliness was excellent. I even thought the bed was super comfy, which is not a consistent Holiday Inn feature. The traffic and outside noise was somewhat audible through the large window, although this noise did not bother me much. This guestroom is located in the northeast corner of the building, so it is close to the intersection.


The chic furnishings in the guestroom looked new, and I have included several pictures.

Some of the features included a very large work desk and chair, large flatscreen TV, a love seat, ottoman, sofa sleeper, suitcase bench, tables, and nightstands. The small table next to the love seat could be slid under the seat. This table did not slide under the sofa when I tried to use it with that seat.


The guestroom was well lit, and there were plenty of electrical outlets. Two complimentary bottles of water were included with the ice bucket.


The hanging closet near the entrance door contained two bathrobes, a folding luggage rack, extra bedding, an iron, and ironing board.



The bathroom contained a tub/shower combination, pedestal sink, bath amenities, and a hairdryer mounted on the wall.

A large vanity was located outside of the bathing area. A microwave, small fridge, and coffeepot with supplies were located across from the vanity.


















Food & Beverage
I had clam chowder and fish tacos from the restaurant in the evening, and I thought the nearby restaurant where I'd had lunch served better food. The clam chowder was "okay," and the fish tacos did not taste very fresh. I did not have breakfast at the hotel because I turned in my Platinum perk for extra points.

Fitness center
The fitness center contained four cardio machines, two flatscreen TVs, hand weights, a weight machine, water cooler, towels, sani-wipes, and a scale.

Business center
There were a couple of computers and a printer located around the corner from the front desk; however, I was not able to print a document when I tried to do so.

Misc.
I arrived at this hotel from the west, and the hotel name sign is not visible from that direction, because it is blocked by the trees out front. I was glad that I recognized the Holiday Inn coloring on the building, and turned right onto Inner Belt Road at the traffic light. If the traffic light had been red when I approached, I would have seen the hotel sign as soon as I stopped; however, I happened to get it green. Even though the hotel address is on Washington Street, the entrance is from Inner Belt Road. This hotel has a spacious parking lot, and parking is complimentary.

I tend to agree with most of the reviews I read about this property. The good comments I read, said that the hotel is comfy and clean. The bad comments I read, stated that the hotel has thin walls, and that the business center was inadequate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment