Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Merrillville, Indiana / Hilton Garden Inn

Status perks
I was initially downgraded at this hotel. I had reserved a suite because the rate was good, and I was staying three nights. I had written in my comments that if I could be upgraded to a Jacuzzi suite, that would be great. (My husband was coming to visit over the weekend, and he likes having a Jacuzzi). When I checked in, the agent told me I had been upgraded to a Jacuzzi room, and I said great. I asked him if this was also a one bedroom suite, like I had reserved, and he said yes. I received two bottles of water as well.

Room
When I got to my room, it looked like a regular size hotel room with a tub in the sleeping area--there was no living room. I looked at the room diagram on the back of the door, and saw that the room I was in was indeed a regular sized room, and that the suites were larger rooms. I returned to the front desk, and the agent told me that there are no Jacuzzi tubs in the suites; only in the hotel rooms. He said they are the same size rooms anyway. I told him I had reserved and paid for a suite, so I wanted a suite instead. After looking on the computer, he was able to give me a handicap suite, which was much larger than the first hotel room I had been in! When I looked at the hotel rooms more closely online after getting settled in my room, I saw that the hotel rents a standard room, Jacuzzi room, and suite--with pricing from low to high, in that order. So, the hotel was actually "upgrading" me to a lower priced room, which I had been told was the same size as a suite. I'm glad I was paying attention that day!

There was not an actual door separating the bedroom from the living area, although there was a short hall with the bathroom between the two rooms. I wish there had been a bedroom door because the guestroom doors in the hallway slammed loudly, if the guest did not slow the door down when entering or exiting a room. I thought the hallway noise was very distracting and annoying. There was a couch and soft chair in the living room as well as a desk and chair. I did not think the couch was comfortable, although the Sleep Number bed was great.

Food & Beverage
We had dinner in the restaurant one evening and did not end up paying for one of the meals because they were not cooked right. My medium steak was served tough and well done. I had already eaten my salad and did not feel confident that a second steak would be any better, so I just sent the steak back. My husband's burger was also overcooked; however, we decided to share it since we were hungry and didn't feel like going out that evening. The menu prices and options  on the menu in the guestroom did not match the menu in the dining room. Our server told us the room menus were supposed to have been replaced. The service was acceptable and nothing more.

Business center
The business center was a typical HGI center with "on demand" printing available and miscellaneous office supplies.

Fitness center
The fitness center contained several working cardio machines. There was a TV, although the remote was missing both times that I used the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment