Search This Blog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Lafayette, Indiana -- Holiday Inn

Status perks
At check-in I was told that I was the "guest of the day." When I asked what that meant, I was told that I had been upgraded to a suite. I have been upgraded to a suite at other properties without the "guest of the day" title. I have also been guest of the day at properties where I did not receive an upgrade, but received extra perks, like breakfast and bonus points. 

Room
I received a room on the top floor at the end of the hall. The room I received was the only room in the wing. This was one of the largest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. It was comfortable; however,  it was not the nicest room I have stayed in. There was a large closet by the double door entrance, and then a large living/dining room combination. The room contained a couch, soft chairs, coffee and end tables, a TV, a small table with four chairs, a microwave, small fridge, and sink. The bathroom was behind the closet by the entrance door, rather than off the bedroom. I liked the large walk in shower; however, I did not like that I needed to walk through the kitchen area to get to the bathroom during the night.

The bedroom was just as large as the living area room that I just described. In addition to the bed and end tables, it contained a soft chair, desk and chair, armoire, and TV. One reason I stated that this hotel room was not as nice as others I have been in is because it showed signs that it had been rented to large groups for parties or social events. There were many stains on the carpet and other minor damage in the room. I was happy with the room for the most part, although I did not like the fact that the double entrance door was not equipped with a door latch or chain. I rigged my own hillbilly/redneck door alarm before I went to bed that evening.

Food & Beverage
I ate lunch/early dinner in the dining room when I arrived, and I had a snack in the lounge that evening. I would not recommend dining at this hotel. Although I would not classify the food and service as awful, it left a lot to be desired. I waited for service in both areas, and none of the food was worth waiting for.

Overall
I was happy with the room upgrade, and the bed was comfortable. I'm not sure if I would stay at this hotel next time I'm in the area. I think I would look at the Staybridge Suites and the Hilton Garden Inn a little closer before making that decision. 

I had noticed blue, gold, and platinum colored bags behind the front desk when I went to the lounge in the evening, so when I dropped off my key the next morning, I asked if the bags were PCR member bags. They were! The agent asked if I had received one, and I said no. She gave me a bag, which contained a bottle of water and two snacks. I guess my "guest of the day" status did not remind the employee to give me a bag at check-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment