Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Orlando, Florida: Staybridge Suites Orlando Airport South

February 2022, weekday (Wednesday), 1-night


I am confused about why this hotel is called "airport south" because it is not south of the airport. The only hotel I know of that is south of the airport is a newer SpringHill Suites that does not provide shuttle service. 


Arrival, check-in, platinum perks

It was before noon when we called for the shuttle after returning our rental car. The driver happened to be at the airport dropping someone off, so he arrived very quickly. When we got to the hotel, the front desk agent said the room type I had requested (top floor, corner, quiet area, like usual) was not ready yet, and that he could give us a room on the second floor, if we wanted. It sounded like he had a specific room picked out for us on the top floor, because he stated my preferences and said the current guest had not checked out yet. We decided to wait for the corner top floor guestroom. When I returned to the front desk to request the wifi password less than an hour later, the same employee told us our room was ready. I was surprised and impressed (until we go to the room). I received the standard platinum 500 bonus points.


View from suite 317 Staybridge Suites Orlando Airport South


King one bedroom [hearing impaired] suite #317

When we arrived at the guestroom, we saw that it was not a corner suite. It looked like a standard one bedroom suite, other than it was a room for the hearing impaired. There was a doorbell on the outside of the guestroom, and lights flashed inside when the button was pressed. I assume this guestroom had been available when we arrived, and that the agent decided to just give us this room instead of having us wait longer. The air smelled stagnant, as though there had not been anyone in the guestroom recently. Although I have high exceptions, I also dislike complaining/making a fuss, so we stayed in the room.

Suite 317 in Staybridge Suites Orlando Airport South
Floor debris on kitchen floor in photo below

The guestroom was comfortable, and we did not have any trouble with noise. The view overlooks the parking lot. The bedding looked clean; however, the floors needed a bit of cleaning, especially the kitchen floor.  

Bedroom and floor diagram in suite 317
Staybridge Suites Orlando Airport South

I was glad we had not taken the guestroom offered to us on floor 2 when we first arrived. Meeting rooms are on that floor, and it was quite busy during our stay. The laundry room is also on floor 2, and I observed all of the activity several times while doing our laundry. 


Social room in Staybridge Suites Orlando Airport South

Food & beverage

The food at this hotel was one of our biggest disappointments this stay. This property has a beautiful social room, and we expected much more. The primary reason we had chosen this hotel was for the evening social. This is the first time I have ever stayed in a Staybridge Suites on a Wednesday, and they did not serve burgers from the grill. If you want to see a good example of what is usually offered at Staybridge Suites on Wednesday evenings, check out my post from our recent stay in Lafayette, Indiana. 

Evening social in Staybridge Suites Orlando Airport South

The only evening food items at this hotel were baked potatoes with meager toppings. Two or three domestic beer choices were offered; Bud Light draft, and I do not recall the other option(s). The only wine choice was a cheap bottle of sweet moscato. When I inquired about different wine options, the bartender was somewhat rude as he said they had been busy the last few days and ran out. During check-in, when I told the agent I wanted to wait for a quiet room on the top floor, he had told me they are not busy. I went to see if there was any wine in the gift shop, and found a small single-serving bottle of inexpensive red wine. I asked the front desk clerk if I could have that for an evening social beverage, since they did not have any red wine. She said no. I then asked her if elite guests are supposed to receive a bottle of water at check-in, like I had seen other guests carrying around. She said yes, and allowed me to get a small bottle of water. There appeared to be Coca-cola fountain beverages in a machine in the social room, although we did not actually check the machine.

Baked potatoes and toppings at evening social above
Below: breakfast in Staybridge Suites Orlando Airport South

Breakfast in the morning was dismal as well, although it was a bit better than the evening social. Items included [extremely salty] scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, pork bacon, hash browns, cereals, and beverages. 

Pool area in Staybridge Suites Orlando Airport South

Pool and outside area

The pool and outside area at this hotel is nice, just like the inside social room. There were tables, loungers, grills, a pool, and whirlpool tub.


Misc. and overall

Our keys quit working at checkout time, even though the front desk agent who checked us in had said he was giving us late checkout. The return shuttle to the airport was prompt. The complimentary laundry room was nice, although two of the machines were broken. There were two other guests doing laundry when I was, and I was fortunate that I did not have to wait for a machine. 


Since the main reason we chose this hotel was for the Wednesday evening reception, this was an extremely disappointing stay. If we had known what we would receive food and beverage-wise, we definitely would have stayed elsewhere. There are many hotels in this area to choose from. If you are hesitant about traveling because of COVID-19, I would suggest not staying in this hotel. I observed only one or two employees wearing masks, whereas, everyone had been wearing them at our previous Florida hotel, DoubleTree Melbourne Beach. About 50% of guests were wearing masks in the elevator.


Let me know if you have any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment