Search This Blog

Thursday, September 23, 2021

Sandpoint, Idaho: Best Western Edgewater Resort

 September 2021, Weekdays, 2-nights, King guestroom 242


Sunset looking east from guestroom 242 at Best Western Edgewater Resort


Arrival, check-in, diamond perks

I was momentarily confused when I first arrived, because my GPS placed this hotel on the south side of Bridge Street instead of the north side. The Best Western sign was easily visible on the north side, so I pulled into the correct parking lot. I did not see a sign for check-in or the lobby, so my entrance into the hotel was a guess--fortunately, I chose the right door! 😀


I thought the front desk agent was kind of aloof. She did not even offer a greeting or welcome; she mechanically provided my keys and breakfast information after I said I had a reservation and gave her my name. She did not recognize my status nor mention the diamond welcome gift. I got the impression I was taking her away from her phone time. When I walked by later, she was seated back in the corner behind the counter with her phone. She did not look up to acknowledge me then, even though I walked back and forth, as I tried to decide which way to return to my hotel room from the restaurant. I was not sure if the hallway beyond the front desk would take me to my room, or if I had to go out and use an exterior entrance like I had when I arrived. I decided to try the hallway behind the desk, and was able to get to my room that way, as well. 


Guestroom 242 at Best Western Edgewater Resort


King guestroom 242

This guestroom is in the north wing on the middle floor, and is accessible from the parking lot at ground level. I had requested a top floor room, and my first evening, I mistakenly assumed I was on the top guestroom floor, and that the next floor up was a rental/banquet type room. The next evening, when the hotel was quite full, I realized my mistaken assumption! This guestroom is not very soundproof and I heard many voices and noises the second night of my stay.


Coffee and water amenities in guestroom 242 at Best Western Edgewater Resort

When I first entered my room, it was like an icebox. The AC was cranked (the setting was on 64F°), and it smelled musty damp. I turned the AC off, and opened the balcony door. I wish there had been a screen in the door, because I would have preferred to have the door open for the fresh air.


Torn/damaged curtains in guestroom 242 at Best Western Edgewater Resort


The guestroom contained a king size bed, nightstands, work desk and chair, soft chair and footstool, microwave, small fridge, flatscreen TV, armoire, suitcase bench, and coffeemaker with supplies. There were two chairs on the balcony.


Another view from guestroom 242 at Best Western Edgewater Resort

Positives for this guestroom: 

  • The view from the balcony was fabulous.
  • The room size was good.
  • The bedsheets looked clean.
  • Provided amenities included two bottles of water, which were replenished during stayover.
  • The internet connection was good.


Lint/dirt/dust on chair in guestroom 242 at Best Western Edgewater Resort

Negatives of this guestroom: 

  • No screen in the balcony door.
  • Musty damp smell.
  • Noisy guests overhead, next door, and in the hall.
  • Dirty, dusty, stained, and damaged furnishings. Many areas looked like they had not been cleaned in years--yes, years, or maybe even ever. There was a large hole in the drapes and sheers, stains in the soft chair and suitcase bench, debris on the desk chair, and dust everywhere. The bathroom door was covered with spots/splatter.
  • The coffeemaker did not work properly. The first time I tried to pour in a half cup of water (I like my coffee strong) after barely waking up, it overflowed because the water reservoir had been almost full already. After this, I checked it each time. Twice more the reservoir had water in it after brewing, and one time it was empty.

Water (and dust!) in Keurig machine after brewing 


Food & Beverage

I had eaten before I arrived, so I just got a cup of clam chowder to take to my room the first evening. The service and food were both very good. 

Included breakfast in lobby at Best Western Edgewater Resort

Included breakfast was the same both mornings: Jimmy Dean biscuits, orange juice, fruit, muffins, and Nutri-grain bars. Coffee was also available next to the front desk 24 hours. I arrived on a Monday, and the restaurant was closed Tuesday and Wednesday.



One treadmill in the fitness center at B
est Western Edgewater Resort



Fitness center, beach, pool

When I checked in, the aloof agent had told me the fitness center opens at 9AM, just like the pool. I expressed surprise, although I did not question her. I should have, because when I went downstairs to get breakfast the next morning, I saw that the sign on the door says it opens at 6AM! The entrance to the fitness center is the same as the door to the pool area, although the pool area was dark. Apparently, not many people use the fitness center. I never saw anyone inside, and when I pulled out a Sani-wipe, the first several were dry. After I had removed a few (thinking the next ones down would be damp), I ended up moistening the wipe with water and then wiping the treadmill. There was one treadmill, and it did not have cardio theater. There was a TV in the corner, although it was difficult to see or hear when walking on the treadmill.


Beach behind inside pool area at Best Western Edgewater Resort
Sandpoint, Idaho city beach in the distance

There is a a small beach at this hotel, and a public city beach next door.


Misc. and overall

When I checked out of this hotel, I asked the front desk agent, if the hotel has any kind of satisfaction guarantee. I told her I had not gotten much sleep my second night, and that as a diamond member, I was surprised I had not received a guestroom in a quieter top floor location like I had requested. If the room cost had been less, I might not have even said anything; however, since rooms are over $200 a night, I had expected much better. After looking at my profile and requests, she talked with the manager, and I was given a discount on my second night's stay. There is another Best Western just north of this hotel in Ponderay that I wish I had seen before this stay. Sandpoint was a more central location for my visit; however, the two hotels are only about five miles apart. I spent quite a bit of time researching hotels in the area, as many of them have bad reviews, and yet I still missed one! I would probably check that hotel next time I am in this area.


Ahi Poke and Beer Cheese Soup at MickDuff's Brewpub in Sandpoint, Idaho

Sandpoint was very busy when I tried to find a place to eat Tuesday afternoon just after the lunch hour. I would have eaten at the hotel, if the restaurant had been open. I wasted a bit of time trying to find a parking spot downtown, and then a restaurant that did not have a 15+ minute wait. After three attempts, I settled on MickDuffs Brewpub - not to have beer; the wait was just under 15 minutes. After attempting to visit Spuds Waterfront Grill and Thai Nigiri, I also tried to find Secret Thai Cafe in the same area as the brewpub, and could not find it. I guess it is really a secret! The food at MickDuff's was flavorful and fresh. The service was friendly, although definitely lacking. I understand that the location was busy; however, my server walked by my table many times during the meal (8 or more), and never once stopped to check on me. When I finished, I waited 10 minutes for my check before I stood up to get his attention and request it.  A different person brought my check to me and left. After a few more minutes, I walked to the to-go register by the door to pay my bill. I do not think that is what usually happens, as I did not observe patrons who departed while I was waiting pay at the register.

 

Safe travel everyone, and let me know if you have any questions!



No comments:

Post a Comment