Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Grand Rapids, Michigan: SpringHill Suites GRR Airport Southeast

April 2019, Weekend-Holiday, 1-night, Queen guestroom 312 and 309


Platinum perks and check-in

During check-in, the agent asked if I wanted bonus points or a snack from the gift shop, which was the extent of my member recognition. She initially assigned us guestroom 312; however, when we discovered the fridge in that guestroom was not cooling, she switched us to guestroom 309.

Typical provided amenities at SpringHill Suites GRR. This is queen guestroom 312.
The microwave time is incorrect; we checked in after 4 PM

Queen guestroom 312 and 309

As I mentioned in the previous section, the fridge was not cooling in guestroom 312. Neither my husband nor I could find a control knob, so I called the front desk. The agent said she would come up and look at it. When she had not arrived over five minutes later, I decided to walk down to the front desk. As soon as I exited the guestroom, I heard female voices in the corridor. After I walked all of the way to the elevator (room 312 is about midway down the hall), I found the front desk agent chatting with another employee in front of the elevator. She concluded her conversation when she saw me, and then followed me back to the guestroom. After looking at the fridge, she said that it sounded like it was on, and that must be how cold it gets. We had Easter dinner leftovers with us, and the outside temperature was in the 70s, so I asked her if we could get a different room. I returned to the front desk with her, and she reassigned us to guestroom 309 across the hall.

Sitting area in queen guestroom 312 at SpringHill Suites GRR
Both guestrooms were set up exactly the same way: with a sitting area, and a bedroom area with two queen beds. There were two closets in the bedroom area.

A microwave, sink, small fridge, and sink were located in the area next  to the sitting room. A couple of plates and silverware were provided inside the microwave.

Bedroom area of guestroom 309

After we settled into guestroom 309, I noticed that several amenities were missing. I went to the front desk to get coffee cups (there were none in the guestroom), regular coffee (only decaf was provided), and an ice bag. Only one coffee packet was available at the front desk, and the agent brought another one to the guestroom for me later that evening. After I got ready for bed, I noticed there was also no shampoo or bath soap in the guestroom (there was a bar of facial soap). I had packed shower gel; however, I had not packed any shampoo. Very frustrating!

Sagging sofa in guestroom 312
The work area in guestroom 309 was comfortable; however, both guestrooms showed visual signs of age. The sofa in the first guestroom had a huge sag, and the sofa in the second guestroom had a large stain on it.

Sofa stain in guestroom 309

The bed was hard, and the pillows were low quality. Additionally, the alarm clock time did not illuminate. The below par experiences we had at this hotel continued to increase.

Sunset from guestroom 309 SpringHill Suites GRR

There was a visible gap around the guestroom door, and fortunately, we had quiet and polite guests on our floor. We heard an occasional door closing, and nothing more. One nice thing about guestroom 309 was the amazing sunset!

Food & beverages

I left before breakfast in the morning, and this hotel does not provide bagged to-go breakfast. Coffee and yogurt were available when I went to the lobby shortly before 5:00 AM for the airport shuttle. A decanter with ice water was available at the bar 24 hours.


Shuttle & misc.

I initially asked if I could go to the airport at 5:15 AM. The agent said the shuttle goes every half hour, so I signed up for the 5:30 shuttle. Later, I changed that to 5:00, since I was departing on a Monday morning, and decided 5:30 would be too late. I am glad I changed my time, because the shuttle driver was running late, and the 5AM shuttle did not leave until 5:15 AM! I did not arrive at the airport until almost 5:30. This worked out for me; however, if I had not changed my time, and had left on the 5:30 AM shuttle 15 minutes late, this would have been too late for me.

I received a survey after this stay, which I filled out detailing our experience. I immediately received a professional reply from the hotel manager. She apologized, and assured me that she would use my experiences for re-training purposes. She also awarded me some bonus points for the unsatisfactory stay. Overall, this was not one of my better Marriott stays, although the professional contact I received afterward has encouraged me to try this hotel again. A couple of the things we encountered were minor; however, when compounded with everything else they added up.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment