Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

West Palm Beach, FL / PBI airport hotel -- DoubleTree


Status perks
I received one beverage coupon at check-in. This was a great value because we used it for a Grey Goose martini! My profile is set to receive a room upgrade, rather than bonus points so I asked about this at check-in. I was told that there were no two-room suites available, even though they were available online before check-in and after I got to my room. I did not argue with them, although I wish I had. I should have asked them to give me the bonus points, if they weren't going to give me the room upgrade.

Room
We reserved a Jr suite because we got a great advance purchase rate with the January sale. The room had a sitting area with a couch, desk, fridge, and small sink. The bedroom area was quite small, and there was no counter space in the bathroom.

Pool
The pool area is a basic airport hotel pool with limited seating and a small hot tub.

Fitness Center
The fitness center is located off the pool area and the only way to get to it is from the outside. This wasn't pleasant our first day, since it was raining out. The air did not work the first day, and the temperature in the fitness room was 70+! Thank goodness they had that fixed the second day. The Cardio Theater system did not work on one of the treadmills.

Business Center
The business center is a small counter with printer beside the front desk.

Staff/service
I had requested a microwave, and extra coffee with cream using Hilton's "order requests upon arrival" online feature. Someone brought coffee to our room shortly after check-in (no cream). I called the front desk shortly after to this to make sure they had our request for a microwave, and I was told yes. Later that evening, I called the service line, and I was told our microwave was on the way. I did not continue to ask about the microwave after the first day, and we never received it. The hotel shuttle provides service to City Place and the airport. When we arrived, we waited 40 minutes (& 3 phone calls) for the airport shuttle. When we called from City Place, we waited 15 minutes.

Overall
The pool area was smaller than we expected, we were not happy with the service, and the bar/lounge area was extremely small. The property is older, and the chair in our room had a large tear. Fortunately, we had not pre-paid our last night, and moved to the Hilton where the service and atmosphere was much nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment