Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2021

Galesburg, Illinois: Holiday Inn Express & Suites

July 2021, 2 nights, king guestroom 312


Arrival and checkin

The check-in process was efficient, and the 500 platinum bonus points posted to my account right away.


Photo from the entrance at Holiday Inn Express Galesburg, IL

Guestroom 312

This guestroom had been recently remodeled and I loved the layout. It was clean, and the furnishings were comfortable. 


Bathroom at the Holiday Inn Express in Galesburg, IL

The spacious bathroom contained a large walk-in shower. A small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and ice bucket were located in the entry outside the bathroom.

Refreshment area at Holiday Inn Express in Galesburg, IL

Provided refreshments included: one bottle of water, K-cups, and a package of microwave popcorn.


Guestroom 312 at Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Galesburg, IL

A wardrobe closet and suitcase bench are located at the foot of the bed. The guestroom also contained a flatscreen TV, large work desk, sofa, king size bed, nightstands, and a coffee table. The light over the desk and the light switch are both difficult to see. In fact, I did not see either of them when I searched the first evening. Fortunately, I found them the next day, so I could have light while working.


Guestroom diagram at Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Galesburg, IL

The internet connection was good. I loved everything about this guestroom when I first arrived. My opinion changed a bit later after more guests arrived. The walls are extremely thin, and the hotel appeared to be mostly full both nights of my stay. I heard a lot of loud, loud voices, booming, banging, and more. I found the noise and smells very disruptive. Sounds came through the register, windows, and walls at all times of the day and night. This guestroom is over the outside sitting area next to the breakfast room. Guests smoked in this area, sat with their pets, and cooked on the grills. All of those sounds and smells floated up to my room somehow (I did not have the window open at any time). When the grill was lit for the first time, I thought the A/C unit or something in my room might be malfunctioning and creating a gas or melted smell. I checked everything in my room, and then walked down the hallways on all of the floors to see if I smelled it elsewhere. I could not smell it anywhere else. When I returned to my room about 10 to 15 minutes after I had first smelled the odor, I realized it was the grill because after that amount of time, I could also smell the residue cooking. The disruptions were worse the second day and evening. If I had realized all of this sooner, I would have requested a different room. I might have been happier in a corner guestroom, like #341. I did request a corner room in my reservation details, although I did not inquire whether one was available when I checked in.


My guestroom was not cleaned during stayover. The housekeeper was in the hall outside my room when I left in the morning. I made sure the privacy sign was not on my door when I left. When I returned later that day, I observed the housekeeper around the corner, so I figured he had already been to my room. After I entered my guestroom, I saw that my room had not been cleaned. When it was after 5PM, I decided to request K-cups from the housekeeper in the hall. When I did, he commented that he was not sure if he had any left. Then he said I was lucky I got the last two. Really?! Maybe that was because my guestroom was the last one he was going to clean--or, maybe he had not really planned to clean it at all. He did not ask if I needed anything else, or if I still wanted my room cleaned. This surprised me because I spoke with three or more front desk employees during my stay, and they were all extremely friendly and helpful.


Food & beverage

The breakfast foods that Holiday Inn Express usually has were offered in the customary self-serve manner at this hotel. It was ready early both mornings, and the foods were fresh.


Fitness center

The fitness center is open 24 hours--yay! I was the only person in the room every time I visited. The treadmills and audio-theater that I used worked great.


Misc. and overall

There are not many dining options near this hotel. I got fish tacos from Hacienda Jalisco Mexican Restaurant across the street, and I would not recommend that entree. That is the only food item I had, so I do not know about any of the other items on the menu. Hy-Vee Grocery is within walking distance of the hotel on the same side of Main Street.


If you do not mind noises outside of the guestroom, this hotel is comfortable. I would probably try a corner room at this same hotel, if I stay in this area again. I would definitely not want the guestroom that I had again, as I had to play my sleep sounds app the entire night. This muffled some of the noise, although there was not anything I could do about the smells.


Let me know if you have any questions!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment