Search This Blog

Monday, February 4, 2019

Petoskey, Michigan / Hampton Inn & Suites

January 2019, Weekday, 1-night, King with whirlpool, microwave, fridge


Diamond perks and check-in

I called this hotel before arrival, because when I tried to check in, I was only able to access one guestroom choice on Floor 1, and I prefer a higher floor. The agent said that was because there are only 2 king spa guestrooms at this hotel, and there was already a guest in the [higher floor] guestroom. If you reserve this type of guestroom, and want a room on a higher floor, choose the room with a balcony. I did not reserve the balcony room because the cost was more (only $10, I think), and I did not think a balcony would matter much in the winter. If I had realized the non-balcony room is a room on the bottom floor, I would have made our reservation for a balcony guestroom. The front desk agent recognized my status during the telephone call, and during check-in. 

View from guestroom 120

Guestroom 120

When I had called while checking in, the agent told me this guestroom has a terrace, and it does not. There is another guestroom described as having a terrace, so I assume she misspoke, and was thinking of a different guestroom. Guestroom 120 is a basic guestroom with a whirlpool tub. Floor 1 is the level below the front desk, as this hotel sits on a hill. There is a partial view of the bay, which is not visible in the photo above because of the extreme winter weather conditions.

Photo on hotel website of guestroom type we reserved
At the time of our stay, the online pictures for this guestroom type were misleading, and somewhat incorrect. I mentioned this at checkout, and the agent said she would take care of this. She promised me some extra bonus points, and she said she would have the pictures corrected. Corrections are still pending at the time of this post, so I am providing details for anyone else reserving this guestroom type. If you are at all unsure about the details of a guestroom, I suggest calling the hotel to make sure. I thought the information provided online was confusing.

Photo on hotel website of guestroom type we reserved
The screen shots I am sharing above are from the hotel website: one photo shows a large guestroom with a sofa, and the other photo shows a beverage area with a sink. Guestroom 120 does not have either of these things. It does have a microwave and fridge. Of the 4 photos on the website, only picture #2 looks similar to guestroom 120, except that the angle is skewed, making the guestroom look much bigger than it is.

Guestroom 120
Bottom photo taken from edge of whirlpool tub


The bathroom was a good size. It had a long vanity, and a pool/tub combination. Bath amenities and a hairdryer were provided. The closet outside the bathroom had a full length mirrored door.

Bathroom  in guestroom 120
Other than our disappointment with expecting a larger guestroom with a sofa and sink, this is a nice guestroom. Everything was clean, and the room was well soundproofed. We did not hear any noise from outside the guestroom.

Diagram from back of guestroom door
The Internet connection speed was good, and I imagine we would have had a partial view of the bay, if the weather had been clear. Any floor above Floor 1 would have a good view of the bay, from this north side of the building.

Food & Beverage

The breakfast foods were typical for what we usually see at Hampton Inn: cereals, oatmeal, fresh fruits, yogurt, scrambled eggs, sausage gravy and biscuits, breads, waffle maker, and beverages.

Misc. and overall

Although we were initially disappointed with the size and location of our guestroom, I was happy with the sincerity of the front desk agent, and the steps she took to correct this. I received extra points less than a week after my stay.

We stopped at this hotel as part of a 3-day road trip. I will have a separate post with information about some of the breweries and wineries we visited.

Let me know if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment