Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2016

Sacramento, California - SMF Airport / Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sacramento Airport Natomas

April 2016, Weekday, 1-night, 2-Queen beds guestroom 313

I have previously stayed in two SMF airport hotels: Fairfield Inn & Suites, not located near this hotel, and Homewood Suites, which is located next to this Holiday Inn Express. I chose Holiday Inn Express this time because they offered 24-hour shuttle service, and they had the best rate.
Sunset from guestroom over Homewood Suites - where I stayed in 2012

Arrival and status perks

I do not expect to receive a guestroom upgrade every time I stay in a hotel, and that is not the factor the most affects my satisfaction. I did not receive an upgraded guestroom during this stay, and my experience at this hotel was better than it had been at the other hotels I have stayed in in this area. 

Sign where I waited for the shuttle
I returned my rental car before I checked in at the hotel. The car rental lot at SMF is not located in the airport, so I had to take a shuttle bus to the lot when I first arrived. When I returned my car, the hotel shuttle driver picked me up at the rental car lot, so I did not need to take the rental car shuttle back to the airport first. The pickup location was where taxis pick up passengers across the drive from the car rental buses. I only waited about 10 minutes for my ride.

When I got to the hotel, the front desk agent told me she could give me a guestroom on the top floor near the elevator right away, or I could wait for a guestroom away from the elevator. I always request rooms in quiet areas away from the elevator. I appreciate when someone at the hotel actually reads my profile and requests, and then offers me an option, if there is one. After brief discussion, I decided to take the available guestroom, and was then on my way to the room. As a Platinum member, I also received the choice of 500 bonus points or a snack and beverage.

Guestroom 313

The guestroom was spacious, clean, and comfortable. It is located near the elevators, although not right next to the elevator. I did not hear any noise from other guestrooms, the hall, or traffic during my stay.

The spacious bathroom near the entrance contained a long vanity, large mirror, and tub/shower combination. A K-cup coffee maker and supplies were on the vanity, along with shower/bathing amenities at the other end. A hairdryer was provided, as well. The floor was tile, and the towels were good quality.

A closet was located in the hall area outside the bathroom. The closet door was mirrored.


Inside the guestroom, there was a soft luggage bench, flatscreen TV on an armoire, fridge, microwave, desk and chair, soft chair, two queen size beds, nightstand, lamps and two telephones. There was a screen in the window, and the window opened a few inches.

The guestroom was comfortable for the most part. The bed was comfy, although I do wish Holiday Inn Express would change the pillows and sheet quality they use. The bed mattress sometimes differs in some hotels I have been in; however, the pillows and sheet quality are always the same, and the sheets were kind of scratchy.

The Internet connection speed was good.

Food & Beverage

There are a few restaurants within walking distance of this hotel. Some of the choices: IHOP, Taco Bell, KFC, Sizzler, and Malabar. After I returned home, I realized I had chosen to eat at the same restaurant this time that I had chosen in 2012; Malabar! I had the Shrimp Louis, which was delicious. The dressing was amazing, and the portion size was generous. I received warm, fresh sourdough bread, also.


I had to take the shuttle for my morning flight before breakfast was open the next morning. The front desk agent who assisted me when I checked in, and the one who assisted me when I checked out, both told me that there would be some food out early, so I could have something to eat. I was impressed with the freshness and variety of food items available before 5:00 a.m. It looked like most everything was out, except for the eggs, or whatever hot dish was going to be served. You can enlarge the breakfast photos below by clicking on them to view the foods.










Shuttle and overall

In the morning, the shuttle bus started at Holiday Inn Express, and then stopped at Homewood Suites and Hampton Inn to pick up passengers before heading to the airport. Even so, it took less than 15 minutes to get to the Delta terminal.

I would definitely choose this hotel next time I am in the area. The service was excellent, and the sleep quality was good.



No comments:

Post a Comment