Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2012

Wheeling, West Virginia / SpringHill Suites

November 2012, Weekday, 1-night, King guestroom #501


Platinum perks

I received a goody bag with a small bottle of water and two snacks--cheese crackers and peanuts.

Guestroom #501


This guestroom is located on the top floor at the end of the hall. I had called the morning of my arrival to request a room in a quiet location without a connecting room door. The agent who answerd the telephone assigned my room during the call.


The guestroom layout and furnishings are exactly the same as the SpringHill Suites at my home airport--GRR. Every SpringHill Suites I have stayed in has always had a separate sitting area with a sofa, chair, and desk with chair, as well as a sink, small fridge, and microwave. A flatscreen TV on the armoire between the two areas could be rotated so it was visible from the bed or living room.


I was happy with the bed pillows, although I thought the bed was hard and less comfortable than some SpringHill Suites I have stayed in. The comforter was quite thin for November. I was glad to find a clean blanket in the closet because I needed it. 


The wireless Internet connection was terrible. I was disconnected several times, and I had to keep signing back in. There was an ethernet cord on the desk, and that connection was good. As long as I worked at the desk, the connection was great.  


Food & Beverage

Breakfast is included at SpringHill Suites. The following items were available: cereals, milk, juices, bananas, yogurt, breads and bagels--including whole-grain bagels, and scrambled eggs. I think oatmeal was also available, although I do not recall for sure.

Coffee, hot chocolate, and tea were available in the dining area 24-hours. Individually wrapped biscotti was available next to the coffee in the evening. 

Business center

Two computers and a printer were located on a table in the breakfast room. I did not have any trouble using the computers to print a couple of documents. Additional items on the table included paper clips, a stapler, and post-it notes.

Fitness center

The fitness center contained three working cardio machines with cardio theater, as well as hand weights, and a workout bench. A flatscreen TV was mounted on the wall. The room temperature was comfortable.

Misc. and overall

This was a comfortable stay, and I do not have any complaints about my stay other than the wireless Internet connection. There is a Hampton Inn located just down the road, which I thought looked nicer than this property. Since I did not stay there, I can not comment about any experiences at that property. The reason I chose this hotel instead is because a colleague was staying here, and I figured either property would be acceptable.

Hotel staff recommended a local restaurant called Ye Old Alpha, when we asked for dining recommendations. We ate there that evening, and I would not recommend the place. I like to try new places and foods, so I ordered the Crab Apple Salad. The flavor was good; however, the dish was not even close to being worth $13.50. The salad contained less than two tablespoons of shredded crab! It was 3/4 apples. My colleague had the Woodsdale Chicken, and he said the flavor was bland. Not only was the food unimpressive; the service was lousy, too. We had been seated for 10 minutes before our server stopped to greet us. And then, he started to walk away to "give us time to look at the menu." I told him I thought we'd already had plenty of time to look the menu over. I had not seen our server before this, and we did not arrive before 5 PM, so I am not sure what the holdup was at the start of the visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment