Search This Blog

Monday, January 22, 2024

Toledo, Ohio: Hilton Garden Inn Downtown

January 2023, Sunday, one-night, two queen bed river view guestroom #1009


View from guestroom 1009 in Hilton Garden Inn Toledo, Ohio


Arrival and diamond perks

We booked this hotel because we wanted a hotel close to the Amtrak station where we were departing at 3:15 AM. Our plan was to sleep a few hours not too far away, and then have a short drive to the station. About a week before departure, we changed our reservation to a pre-pay rate. We do not usually book pre-pay rates; however, the rate was more than $20 less, so we decided to go for it. I did not check-in on the app, because the only rooms showing had connecting room doors. I called the hotel to ask for help with a room assignment. The agent sounded like she was going to assign me a room on the 15th floor without a connecting room door; however, when I looked on the app after this call, the guestroom I was assigned had a connecting room door. 


When we arrived, I experienced the worst hotel arrival experience ever. The two front desk agents did not know anything about the guestrooms, and then I was assigned a room on the 10th floor that might have a connecting room door. They merely said that if I did not like the room I could come back to the front desk. I was not welcomed when I arrived, and I received no acknowledgment for being a loyal member. I received two bottles of water after I inquired about diamond member waters at the end of the interaction. When I had inquired about a room without a connecting door, I mentioned that we wanted a quiet room because we were going to be sleeping early and then departing around 2:30 AM, yet, the only hotel feature the agent told me about was breakfast in the morning at 6:00 AM. I had also told her we wanted only one room key when she asked how many we wanted, and she gave me two keys. 😲 Wow, great listening skills. 


Guestroom 1009 in Hilton Garden Inn downtown Toledo, Ohio

Guestroom 1009

The rate for a river view room with two queen beds was the same as a king non-river view guestroom. Although we prefer a king bed, we opted for the queen beds, because we thought a river view room would be nicer. Since it appears that all of the queen bedded rooms in this hotel have connecting room doors, I do not understand why staff did not just upgrade a diamond member to a king river view room when this hotel was not very full. Or, they could have at least asked if I wanted a king non-river view room instead (I had written in my comments that a queen or king bed would be fine). The information about connecting room doors is not provided on the hotel website. Fortunately, we did not have a neighbor on the other side of our connecting door, so noise was not an issue.

Guestroom 1009 in Hilton Garden Inn downtown Toledo, Ohio

The guestroom contained two queen beds, a soft chair, work desk and chair, large flatscreen TV, small fridge, Keurig K-cup machine with supplies, and a microwave. There was an area with hangers and drawers next to the entrance door and across from the bathroom with bathing amenities.

Guestroom 1009 in Hilton Garden Inn downtown Toledo, Ohio

The bed and pillows were comfortable; however, the sheets were a tad stiff/scratchy. The small bathroom contained good quality towels, and a tub/shower combination.


Parking, misc, overall

The hotel website lists valet parking for $25 a night, and self-parking for $15 a night. The front desk agent had asked if we did self-parking or valet; however, she did not provide any information about how to exit the lot. After we got to our room, I called the front desk to ask if they validate the parking ticket (and, then pass it on the hotel bill, like many hotels do), or if we pay when we exit the lot. The agent said we pay when we leave. We had a bit of trouble leaving the parking lot. The gate opened after we paid; however, when we tried to get a receipt from the kiosk, the gate immediately shut. We did not get a receipt, and we were unable to leave. It took at least 10 minutes after this before we could depart. We talked with the front desk agent, a valet, and someone over the intercom screen. After we gave the person over the intercom all the ticket details, he told us to drive safe; however, the gate never opened. The valet person arrived to help us; however, he did not bring anything with him to open the gate. He took our ticket from us, and then departed. When he returned, he opened the gate, and kept our ticket. So, we had no ticket or receipt when we finally left. Fortunately, we had left early, and it was an easy one mile drive from this hotel to the Amtrak station.

View from guestroom 1009 in Hilton Garden Inn downtown Toledo, Ohio
Below: guestroom diagram on back of door

I am not sure I would not stay in this hotel again. The reception when we arrived was not welcoming, and I felt like we had received one of the worst river view guestrooms, as we were very close to the inside corner. The view would have been much nicer from the guestrooms at the west end.


Let me know if you have any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment