Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Uber Experiences and Tips

We have had our share of Uber snafus, and I am writing this post to share some tips for others.

Screen shot for Uber fare estimates
  • I always check fare estimates online before traveling to determine what mode of transportation we will use. Here is a link to the Uber estimator, which I use, and then compare to other local transportation options. I have heard that Uber costs are outrageous in New York City, so I checked estimates between the exact same locations for Uber and local cabs, and found this to be true. The cab fare estimate from LGA airport to Midtown area of New York City showed cab fare as $10 less than the Uber fare.
  • If you are planning to use Uber, watch for Uber signs in airports, as you walk toward baggage claim/ground transportation. I have been in some airports that have signs saying, "Call Uber now."
  • Do not tip or rate drivers until the trip is 100% over. Our last trip was going smoothly, and we were almost to our destination, so I completed everything on the app, including tip. Our driver then passed the turn (it was easily visible on the Uber map on my phone, and I could see the hotel logo/sign down the road he missed). He went to the next street, turned down it toward a different building, and then appeared lost or confused. Initially, I had thought maybe he knew a back way in, so I did not say anything when he first passed the road. After he looked confused, I told him he had passed the turn, and explained where I had seen the hotel. After some hesitation and excuse from him, he turned back, and sure enough the hotel was exactly where I had seen it. After we got our luggage and entered the hotel, I received an updated receipt from Uber for $2 more! Not much of an increase; however, the extra route and time was entirely his fault.
  • Take screen shots of Uber texts and driver info (showing driver's name and license plate number) when waiting for pickup, because this information is no longer available if your driver does not show up or cancels the trip. We have had two experiences where the driver needed to be reported (details below). The driver information and chat conversations were no longer available after the driver cancelled the trip. 
  1. February 2018: We needed a ride from Orlando airport (MCO) to Cape Canaveral, Florida, which is about 45 miles one-way. Our driver arrived, told us he did not have enough room for us, and then cancelled the trip. His statement/reasoning was untrue, and I think he did this because he did not want to drive that far (with possibly no return fare), but could not cancel the trip without a mark on his record before arriving. He was driving a large vehicle, like an SUV. The second Uber driver that arrived this day had a small car and there was plenty of room. Our party and belongings consisted of three small adults, and three suitcases (two medium, one small). After the first driver cancelled the trip, it no longer showed on the app, so I could not register a complaint.
  2. February 2019: Our hotel shuttle driver told us it would be about 35 minutes for pickup, so we decided to call for an Uber. We followed the airport signs in FLL to the Uber/ride share pickup area. I texted the driver with our exact location and description a couple of times; however, he never answered or arrived. Finally, he texted me a one-word reply [twice] of about 10 to 12 characters and symbols that was not in English or any language that I recognized. After I texted back that I did not understand, he cancelled the trip. All of our texts were immediately gone from the app after this. I then received a $6 cancellation charge from Uber. I disputed the charge on the app checking the reason, "Driver did not show up at correct pickup location." I received confirmation from Uber that this went through successfully; however, the charge still posted to my account. Fortunately, my credit card company took care of it a week later.
We still plan to use Uber; however, I will be more diligent about tracking information going forward. Hopefully, some of you are benefiting from the information I have shared about my mistakes! 😳


No comments:

Post a Comment